We have designated the following individual as our representative to ensure compliance with applicable data privacy laws and regulations:
1. Personal data collected by dealers.
a. Dealers, unless stated otherwise, are independent businesses and not part of the BMW Group/THACO AUTO Group, but operate using the BMW brand under license to sell and service BMW vehicles or BMW parts.
2. Personal data we may collect about you.
a. We may obtain personal data about you (such as your name, date of birth, gender, nationality, contact details, credit card information, purchases of products and services, payment information, financial details (e.g. income, expenses and/or credit history), employment details (e.g. occupation, directorships and other positions held, employment history, salary and/or benefits), your interests, reviews and opinions, marketing preferences, location, answers to your security questions) and information related to your queries or requests, both online and off-line.
b. We may collect additional personal data about you that you provide arising out of or in connection with activities or transactions with us, such as participation in certain meetings and events, participation in social media offerings (such as signing up through our Facebook or Instagram pages), use of our mobile applications. The additional information that we collect depends on the nature of activity or transaction or how you are interacting with us, both online and off-line.
c. For example, we will obtain your personal data when you register to use the website, send us feedback, post material, contact us for any reason, sign up for a service, enter a competition, purchase goods or services.
e. Occasionally we may receive information about you from other sources (e.g. credit reference agencies, our business partners such as our authorized vehicle distributor, organizers of events which you participated, third parties authorized by you) which we will add to the information that we already hold about you for the purposes set out in “How We Use Your Personal Data” section.
f. If you are under 18, please do not provide us with any of your information unless you have the permission of your parent or guardian to do so.
3. How we use your personal data.
We will use your personal data for the purposes described in the privacy notice that was given to you at the time your data were obtained. These purposes may include:
- To help us identify you and any accounts you hold with us.
- To fulfil your request of rendering goods or services which you sign up for by providing us with your information.
- Research, statistical analysis and behavioral preferences.
- Customer profiling and analyzing your purchasing preference.
- Marketing – please see “Marketing and Opting Out” section below.
- Prevention and detection of fraud and criminal activities.
- Billing and order fulfillmentCredit scoring and credit checking – please see “Credit Checking” section below.
- Customizing our website and its contents to your particular preferences.
- To improve the content and security of our website.
- To notify you of any changes to this website or to our goods or services which may affect you.
- Security vetting.
- To develop new products and services.
- To improve our products and services.
- Where the use is necessary to enter into or perform our contract with you.
- Where the use is necessary to comply with our legal obligations.
- Where the use is necessary in the national interest.
- Where the use is necessary for any investigation or legal proceedings.
We may monitor and record communication with you (such as telephone conversations, emails, online chatting platform) for the purposes of fulfilling your requests, quality assurance, training, fraud prevention and compliance of applicable laws and regulations.
5. Marketing and opting out.
We may share your personal data with organizations which are our business partners (such as our authorized dealers, service providers, consultants, advisers) and we or they may contact you (unless you have asked us or them not to do so) by mail, telephone, SMS, text/picture/video message, fax, email, etc. about our products, services, promotions, special offers, charitable causes which may be of interest to you. If you prefer not to receive any further direct marketing communications from us or our business partners, you can opt out at any time. Please see further at “Your Rights” section below.
6. Disclosure of your personal data.
a. We may disclose your personal data to the following third parties (whether located within or outside of Singapore) for the purposes set out in “How We Use Your Personal Data” section above:
- Other companies within our BMW Group/THACO AUTO Group.
- Our authorized dealers, importers and distributors.
- Our agents and service providers (e.g. providers of web hosting or maintenance services, marketing/advertising agencies).
- Credit reference agents – please see “Credit Checking” section below.
- Law enforcement agencies in connection with any investigation to help prevent unlawful activity.
- Government authorities, regulatory agencies, statutory boards, government officials, industry associations, legal process participants such as our legal advisers, courts, or other alternative dispute forums.
- Our business partners in accordance with the “Marketing and Opting Out” section above.
- Any third party in connection with any proposed or actual changes in our business structure or ownership of all or any portion of our businesses, assets or stocks.
7. Credit checking.
To enable us and other companies in our group to make credit decisions about you and other members of your household and for fraud prevention, anti-corruption and money laundering purposes, we may search files of credit reference and fraud prevention agencies (who will record the search). We may disclose information about how you conduct your account to such agencies and your information may be linked to records relating to other people living in the same address with whom you are financially linked. Other credit grantors may use this information to make credit decisions about you and the people with whom you are financially associated, as well as for fraud prevention, debtor tracing and money laundering purposes.
8. Overseas transfer.
9. Keeping your data secure.
a. We will use technical and organizational measures to safeguard your personal data, for example:
- Access to your account is protected by password and username which are unique to you.
- We store your personal data on secured servers.
- Only authorized personnel are allowed access to personal data, and they may only access it for permitted business functions.
- We use technology to protect your personal data, such as encrypting sensitive data being transferred to or from our systems and using firewalls to help prevent unauthorized access to information.
b. Whilst we will use all reasonable efforts to safeguard your personal data, please be aware that the use of the Internet is not entirely secure and for this reason we cannot guarantee the security or integrity of any personal data which is transferred from you or to you via the Internet.
10. How long we keep your personal data for.
We shall cease to retain your personal data if the purpose for which that personal data was collected is no longer being served by retention of the personal data, or retention of such personal data is no longer necessary for our business or legal purposes.
11. Information about other individuals.
If you give us information on behalf of someone else, you confirm that the other person has appointed you to act on his/her behalf and has agreed that you can:
- Give consent on his/her behalf to the processing of his or her personal data.
- Receive on his/her behalf any privacy notices.
- Give consent to the transfer of his/her personal data abroad.
- Give consent to the processing of his or her sensitive data, e.g. health information.
b. A cookie is a small text file which is placed on your computer (or other electronic devise) when you access our website. Cookies are not personally identifiable by themselves, but they can be linked to the personal data you provide to us.
c. In additional to cookies, we may also use other internet technologies such as pixel tags and other similar technologies to deliver or communicate with cookies and track your use of our website. We also may include similar technologies in email messages or newsletters to determine whether messages have been opened and acted upon, and how. The information we obtain in this manner enables us to customize the services we offer and measure the overall effectiveness of our online content, advertising campaigns, and the products and services we offer.
- Keep track of the items stored in your shopping basket and your purchase information, and take you through the checkout process.
- Recognize you whenever you visit this website (this speeds up your access to the site as you do not have to log on each time).
- Detect your browser’s capabilitiesObtain information about your preferences, online movements and use of the internet.
- Carry out research and statistical analysis to help improve our content, products and services and to help us better understand our visitor/customer requirements and interests.
- Target our marketing and advertising campaigns and those of our partners more effectively by providing interest-based advertisements that are personalized to your interest and usage patternsTrack advertisements displayed to you.
- Make your online experience more efficient and enjoyable.
13. Your rights.
a. You have the right to request access to personal data which we may process about you. Please note that subject to the applicable laws and regulations, not all information that we have collected may be available for review. If you wish to exercise this right you should:
- Include proof of your identity and address (for example, full name with your mobile number or VIN if you are a BMW customer).
- Specify the personal data you want access to including any account or reference numbers where applicable.
b. You have the right to require us to correct any inaccuracies in your data free of charge. If you wish to exercise this right you should:
- Provide us with enough information to identify you (e.g. account number, username, registration details, with the irrelevant personal information redacted).
- Specify the information which is incorrect or outdated and what it should be replaced with.
c. You also have the right to ask us to stop processing your personal data for certain purposes. Please note that if you withdraw your consent for a limited purpose (such as for marketing or a specific category of marketing), we may still contact you or use your information for other purposes for which you have not withdrawn your consent. If you wish to exercise this right you should:
- Provide us with enough information to identify you (e.g. account number, username, registration details).
d. If your objection is not to direct marketing in general, but to direct marketing by a particular channel (e.g. email or telephone), please specify the channel to which you are objecting.
e. Your exercise of these rights is subject to certain exemptions pursuant to the applicable data privacy laws and regulations. Upon receiving and verifying your request, we shall endeavor to respond to your request within thirty (30) days. In the event we need more time to verify and fulfill your request, we shall inform you of the additional time needed
14. Processing under the purview of EU GDPR.
We are committed to respecting your rights as a data subject if the processing of your personal data falls under the purview of European Union General Data Protection Regulations (EU GDPR). In such instance, please take note of the following:
- Automated decision-making: If automated decision-making technologies are used to help us in the processing of personal data, you have the right to have a human involved in this process, to express your point of view, and to contest the decision. You may also enquire whether the processing of your personal data was done by automated decision-making. You may do so by using the method in “Our Contact Details” section below.
- Data portability, restricting data processing, data erasure: if you would like to request that we provide a copy of your information to you or restrict processing of your information or erase it, please contact us using the “Our Contact Details” section below.
- Complaints to supervisory authority: You have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority of the European Union or European Economic Area according to that authority’s rules and procedures.
15. Your consent.